We Recycle 98.2% of the Waste Produced in Our Brewery
We have a long history of environmental stewardship and have been recycling and reusing spent brewery grains, wood pallets, glass bottles, aluminum cans, corrugated cardboard and office paper for decades. The brewhouse has incorporated sustainability initiatives into every aspect of its operations, including daily production, marketing, and warehousing while achieving a 98.2% recycling rate. This was accomplished by producing 14,112 tons of recyclable and reusable materials and while generating only 101.46 tons of solid waste.
Working closely with NYSERDA we installed an anaerobic digester in 2012, which breaks down the brewery’s waste water and converts it to energy which is then used by the brewery for production. The methane gas produced by this process powers 40% of the electricity used by the brewery.
Additional Green Initiatives
- Spent hops from the brewing process are composted at the Oneida Herkimer Solid Waste Authority’s Compost facility.
- Spent grain from the brewing process is used for feed at local dairy farms.
- Installation of geothermal heat pumps to heat/cool our warehouse.
- Utilizing hydro-electric and other renewable sources electricity suppliers to operate the brewery.
- CO2 collection and re-use
- Replacement of high-energy incandescent light bulbs with low-energy fluorescent and LED light bulbs.
- Installation of motion sensor lighting in many areas of the brewery to save energy.
- Promotion of responsible and efficient water usage in all areas of production.
- Utilization of high pressure/low flow hose nozzles for cleaning equipment. Development of a “Green Team” with a Sustainability Supervisor.
- Use of general recycling bins in new areas of the plant. Installation of Variable Frequency Drive motors to reduce overall electricity use.